way to IT

Blogroll

Monday, August 20, 2012

On 7:18 PM by Unknown   No comments
Windows 8 RTM: First Impressions


Finally , the wait is over and super excited to get my hands on Windows 8 RTM..  And really lucky to get it before Windows 8 global release on October 26. You too can get it for free by participating in Windows 8 Utshav @ MIC or in your own college from MIC Nepal.

If you are expecting drastic changes from the release preview, you are going to be disappointed. Windows 8 is definitely improvement over Release Preview but there are not feature additions besides vastly improved Windows 8 apps, stability & bug fixes.

The set up was really quick in less than 30 minutes on my PC. And when I signed in with my Microsoft account, I was surprised that all my data, apps, IE settings and lock screen wallpaper were synced up.

 Windows 8 gives your old PC new life

When I first heard about Windows 8, I was like time to upgrade my PC. But I was actually surprised to know that with Windows 8 runs better than Windows 7 on same hardware. And what's more interesting is it boots in less than 8 seconds if it gets the right hardware.  On old PCs too, Windows 8 boots faster than Windows 7 and is responsive, fast and fluid.

New start screen patterns

 Now you can choose from 20 design patterns to make your start screen and visual. ( My Windows was not activated so I could not try them)



Windows 8 Store and apps

Till Release Preview, all apps in the Store were free. Now you also can look for paid apps.  But  I think it is only available for US (for now) since there was no way to change country in Payment options.

There are handful of beautiful apps to play or work with. And I hope by the general availability of Windows 8, there will be enough apps to compete with apple store. Also, Microsoft's apps like Mail, People, Music, Video and SkyDrive which were in app preview are now feature complete and have nice improvements over the Release Preview.





Windows 8 desktop gets metro look

No surprises here. As announced, aero is removed and replaced with simple colors and flat look. I was actually fan of aero but I am not missing it now  :) 



 Bing gets visual with Windows 8

Bing search late comer to bing apps is what makes RTM  version special..As other Windows 8 apps, Bing search provides  full and immersive experience free from chrome and tools.  I never though that searching on web could be so awesome and beautiful.  With the bing app on Windows 8, searching via browser on google and even bing.com feels outdated.  (Note: Scroll via mouse to see different Bing Wallpapers)



 Internet Explorer 10

Internet Explorer for me too was the browser I loved to hate. I even had speed and hang issues in Internet Explorer 9. But Internet Explorer 10 is just fast and fluid. Its is not different in look and feel from IE 9 but definitely better. And I prefer IE desktop to metro version on my desktop.  And One thing that surprised me was now Internet Explorer has auto correct that automatically corrects your common typing mistakes. And I am not sure if it was available in previous versions.


0 comments:

Post a Comment